On October 19, 2018, ten participating high school and twelve middle school teams were given four days to complete a HIKI NO story based on the theme "the story behind the food". Teachers could no provide hands-on help. The students had to conceptualize, research, arrange, shoot, write, and edit their own videos. The completed stories were scored by members of the HIKI NO editorial board based on the following criteria:
- How well did the story capture the essence of the assigned theme?
- How well did the entry fulfill the HIKI NO Story criteria (the criteria used throughout the school year to determine which stories are approved to air on HIKI NO)?
- How much did production values (the quality of the cinematography, editing and sound) contribute to the overall effectiveness of the story?
Based on the cumulative scores, first place, second place, third place and honorable mention awards were given in both the high school and middle school divisions. Waianae Intermediate School won the middle school first place award with a story behind the meal that is being prepared by and for the residents of Hope Lodge, a Honolulu facility where families of Neighbor Island cancer patients who are on Oahu for treatment can stay.
The following schools were also awarded/recognized:
- Second Place: Ewa Makai Middle School
- Third Place: Maui Waena Intermediate School
- Honorable Mention: Kamehameha Schools Maui Middle School
- Recognition: Chiefess Kamakahelei Middle School, Volcano School of Arts and Sciences, Hongwanji Mission School, Kealakehe Intermediate School